So why is work experience so important?
- It means you can earn money during your studies
- You’ll gain skills valued by future employers (e.g. commercial awareness, initiative, team work)
- You can build relevant experience for your future career
- You’ll find out what an industry / job role is like in reality
- It helps to build your network / contacts
What can I do?
It can be challenging to find part-time work that is linked to your degree or the sector you would like to work in after graduation. Many students combine their part time job with some volunteering and work experience (e.g. internships and work shadowing) to earn money as well as gain valuable relevant work experience.
For a wide range of part-time, internship and work experience vacancies visit careers.qmul.ac.uk/jobs
Roles on campus and in the local area
There are many part-time opportunities on campus, from Student Ambassadors and Library Shelvers, to residential, café, and bar staff. See the work experience hub to explore the variety of ways (paid and voluntary) you can develop your experience on campus. For jobs within the Student’s Union see: www.qmsu.org/jobs/