- Meet the law firms. Use firm open days and careers fairs to build a relationship with your potential future employer. It is important to introduce yourself to recruiters and ask educated questions. This will help you to stand out in the application process as well as gain a better understanding of the firm and what they are looking for in their candidates.
- Make your motivations clear. Be able to explain why you want to pursue a career is law. Training contracts require an investment of both time and money from the employer. The firm will want to see that you have reflected on your career choice and have the drive and motivation to work hard and complete the traineeship.
- Sit in on a court case. Internships, vacation schemes and job shadowing are great ways to gain legal experience and understanding. However, you can witness the law in action by simply observing cases in your local court. These observations can also give you interesting stories to talk about on application forms and in interviews.
- Keep up to date with the news. Recruiters commonly ask candidates to talk about current events that relate to the legal areas in which they want to work (i.e. banking or corporate law). Pick at least two stories and follow them in the news. One trainee kept a notebook with clippings from her chosen news stories as they progressed. Another suggested reading articles from various sources to help your understanding of the story. For example, start reading short articles on the BBC news website. When you feel that you have a basic understanding of the issue read the more in-depth reports in the Financial Times.
- Come to your interview with questions. Generally recruiters will give you the opportunity to ask questions at the end of an interview. Always bring a few thoughtful and well-informed questions to your interview. This shows your genuine interest in the firm and traineeship.
For more information about locating and applying for training contracts, we offer 1-2-1 appointments with a Law Careers Consultant. Call 020 7882 8533 to book yours.