Two specialist Careers Consultants, Gemma Garrett and Andrea Cox, provide careers support for PhD students and postdoctoral/early career researchers across all three faculties at QMUL.
One to Ones
Free, confidential one-to-one appointments are available to PhD students and postdoctoral researchers each week, from 11am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 2:30pm on Mondays and Tuesdays. These are held at The Careers and Enterprise Centre (WG3, near the Octagon in the Queens Building) and can be booked by telephone on 020 7882 8533, or in person at the Centre. You can discuss a range of issues, including:
- Career options, planning and job hunting (whether you want a career in academia or elsewhere)
- CV, covering letter and application advice
- Interview preparation (including practice interviews).
To find out more, visit: www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/researchers/advice/index.html
A range of alumni, employer, and student-led events are timetabled each academic year, including:
- PhD alumni discussion panels and speed networking events
- Employer-led events – talks from PhD employers. For example, employers at previous events have included PhD alumni discussing self-employment and a social enterprise called The Brilliant Club that arranges for PhD students to deliver tutorials in secondary schools.
- Café Scientifique (hosted in collaboration with our Centre for Academic and Professional Development) – speakers are current PhD students talking about their research to non-specialist audiences. Volunteering to talk at these events is a great way to practise and develop your communication and public engagement skills.
Events are listed and available to book at: www.cpdbookings.qmul.ac.uk.