If you’re interested in a career in communications, you won’t want to miss these events below, taking place over the next 3 Tuesday evenings. Click on the links to register your place.
We are delighted to have QM alumni Lisa Quinn who is Director of Communications at Hearst Magazines and Suraj Bhanot who is an Account Manager at leading PR agency Weber Shandwick. Lisa and Suraj will each give a short case study presentation on a PR project that they have been involved with – to help you get a better understanding of the role of PR in different contexts.
We will also be joined by Kate Turner, Public Affairs and PR Consultant at The PR Office.
After the presentations, Lisa, Kate & Suraj will then answer questions about building their careers, ‘top tips’ for getting in to PR and what recruiters are looking for in entry level/graduate recruits.
This is a great opportunity to explore how to start to build a career in Publishing. This will be a panel discussion with recent graduates.
The aim is that students will gain a clearer insight into some of the different ‘early career’ roles within Publishing and so be able to better identify their ideal job and target their job search accordingly. Our panellists work in different sectors of Publishing – fiction, educational & academic.
Confirmed so far:
- Katie Hughes – graduated from QMUL in 2014 and is Editorial Assistant at Hodder Education – the British Educational Publisher of the Year in 2015 & 2016.
- Caitlin Ingham – graduated from QM in 2012 and is a Publishing Assistant atDaunt Books Publishing; a young publishing house, started in 2010 by the founders of Daunt Bookshops.
- Beatrix Daniel – graduated from the University of York in 2012 and is Assistant Publishing Manager at Palgrave Macmillan Journals. Beatrix will also be talking about a week’s paid internship in April, that Palgrave Macmillan are offering exclusively to a QM student interested in academic publishing.
This is a fantastic opportunity to explore working in news journalism.
- Great speakers already confirmed from both Broadcast Journalism & Reuters News Agency. We are also looking to include a Print and/or Social Media Journalist.
- Yasmine Djadoudi, who graduated from QM in 2012 and is a BBC broadcast news journalistand Under 30s Panel Member on BBC News Group Board.
- Deepa Babington, currently the Multimedia Editor for REUTERSin Europe, Middle East & Africa. Deepa was previously the Reuters Athens bureau chief and has plenty of experience of high stress, high profile news situations as a foreign correspondent.
This will be a Q&A discussion that seeks to explore the different areas of journalism represented by our guests, identify opportunities within the sectors and look at the similarities and differences in the skill sets required.