Interning in Europe


The summer holidays are a great opportunity to do an internship in Europe. But as well as sorting out your flights and accommodation, you need to be aware of a few other things…

  • Internship Agreement/Convention de Stage

Depending where you are going to do your internship, some countries require the employer to have you sign an internship agreement. This is most common in France (the Convention de Stage) and Spain (Convenio de Colaboracion) but can apply to other European countries too. Employers are required to have this document because of issues of pay, insurance, government compliance etc. The main thing you need to know is what documents, if any, your employer needs. Careers & Enterprise has an internship agreement which you can access from our website:

If you are a student at CCLS, they have their own forms to use. For further information, you can contact Charlotte Rushworth at

  • Start early

If your employer needs an internship agreement, this might take a little while to process – you need to sign things, they need to sign things, we have to sign things…there’s a lot of signing to be done! Also, if your employer does not accept our internship agreement and wants us to sign their own form this can take longer as our staff check the legal implications. Bear in mind too that staff at QMUL have busy schedules – so the sooner you clarify what you need to do and come speak to us in the Careers & Enterprise Centre, the quicker you can be on your way to an awesome internship!

  • Check for how long you are classed as a student

It sounds obvious but QMUL can only sign documents saying you are a student here if you are still a student – which means we can only sign for the internship up to your graduation ceremony date.

  • Check your visa

If you are an international student studying in the UK with a visa, you need to know exactly what you can and cannot do when it comes to work. For example, if you are a Postgraduate student, you are generally classed as a student throughout the summer holidays too; if your visa restricts the number of hours of paid work you can do while a student, you will not be able to do a full-time internship during summer. If you are not sure what your visa terms are, check with Advice and Counselling who are legally able to give you information on what you can do.

And remember, we’re here to help. This may all sound a little daunting but it’s really not and we can help you. So if you have any questions, even if you’re just thinking about interning abroad, come and have a chat with us.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s